Weekly DOE Oil Charts - January 12, 2018Jan 17, 2018·Stefan Wieler
Conclusion: US petroleum inventories continued to declined rapidly, particularly Cushing stocks. Net imports are again at extremely low levels despite these draws. We believe this will ultimately have to close the WTI-Brent arb. On flat price we have become a bit more cautious as the 20% price increase will soon have an impact on demand while outlook for global production growth look positive for 2018 with a number of new non-OPEC projects coming online and ramping up.
- Very large stocks draws. Total petroleum down 13.3mb, 15.7mb more than normal. Commercial crude drew 6.9mb, Cushing a whopping 4.2mb.
- Implied demand looked strong, up 170kb.d w-o-w, at 20.8mb/d
- Net imports declined by 0.3mb/d, down at 3.3mb/d which is 2.2mb/d below last years levels
- Refinery utilization was down 2.3% w-o-w but the 4 week average of gross and net inputs remain at seasonal record levels
- Crude output was up 260kb.d w-o-w, but the adjustment factor flipped by 970kb/d. As a result, crude oil output was almost at 10mb/d, but the combined crude and adjustment factor dropped sharply.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author(s) and do not reflect those of Goldmoney, unless expressly stated. The article is for general information purposes only and does not constitute either Goldmoney or the author(s) providing you with legal, financial, tax, investment, or accounting advice. You should not act or rely on any information contained in the article without first seeking independent professional advice. Care has been taken to ensure that the information in the article is reliable; however, Goldmoney does not represent that it is accurate, complete, up-to-date and/or to be taken as an indication of future results and it should not be relied upon as such. Goldmoney will not be held responsible for any claim, loss, damage, or inconvenience caused as a result of any information or opinion contained in this article and any action taken as a result of the opinions and information contained in this article is at your own risk.